Our Community Based Rehabilitation
The community based rehabilitation project provides individualized support to persons with disabilities who have been identified through the home based care project. With repeated therapy and assessment sessions it is the intention to unlock hidden potentials of persons with disabilities, to improve the management of disabilities by care givers and the persons with disabilities themselves and to ensure that they are referred to the necessary specialized services.
In respect of the persons with disabilities involved in this project there would be improvement in respect of one or more of the following aspects:
- the disability status e.g. the person with a disability has improved use of one or more limbs;
- clearer picture of the specific needs and actions that need to be taken in respect of each of the persons with disabilities to enable them to realize their full potential;
- skills acquisition e.g. better use being made of a wheelchair, walking aid, independence and/or orientation for a blind person, ability to carry out income earning activity and possibly even run their own business;
- social interaction between persons with disabilities and with broader community and family; and
- skills to care givers in respect of e.g. disability management, basic therapy and nursing care.